Yes, you read it right.

This is a pro-Facebook article.

It's not something you'll see every day. Nowadays, we’re used to media coverage blaming Facebook for most of society's ills: it's been blamed for everything from teenagers being distracted from their homework, through to increasing the incidence of syphilis. (Note: everything distracts teens from their homework - Facebook, TV, snacks in the fridge, a fly buzzing past the desk .. don’t we remember what it’s like to be a teenager? It’s hardly news).
I’m sick of it. This is the Facebook Fightback.


I’m going to start regularly featuring alternative examples of the world of Facebook. I’m going to publish a Facebook ‘happy story’ to remind us that it’s not all bad. And I hope you’ll contribute your examples too.

Here’s my first one:

March 2010 Facebook-is-Awesome-Example
I grew up in Whyalla, South Australia. There’s a Facebook group for current and former residents that allows us to share stories. Many of the posts are lengthy, with eloquent and colourful details that bring the town to life and even make readers emotional.

For those with a connection to Whyalla, this group – with its recall of local characters, the streets we grew up in, the schools we went to, the trouble we got into - broadcasts some powerful stuff.

There’s a Discussion called “The street you grew up in” which is nothing if not poignant. Here, you have people recounting their movements from house to house in Whyalla, and then coming across old neighbours. They can ask each other questions, sing out ‘I remember you!’ and piece together their funny stories.

Here’s some examples posts:
I remember Loring Street the most. I used to walk to school at Scott Street Primary and my brother and sister went to Stuart High. I remember walking to One Stop to get an icy pole in 40° heat and getting fish and chips on a Friday night.

I too remember walking to the corner shop ... with my empty coke bottle to get a big bag of 20 cent lollies ... and at the end of the street in those days was the bush, endless days out looking for sleepy lizards and bearded dragons and building cubby houses......sigh.....

I must certainly say that just the mere mentioning of Whyalla brings a lot of memories and feelings back. Whyalla, for me, was the entrance door to Australia, it was the first place/city I resided in, and also the place where I got married (Ada Ryan Gardens)... Now I have jumped to and lived in so many cities and countries that is hard to keep track of all the places, but Whyalla will always have a special place in my heart...

It's great reading these posts. My mum is in Adelaide too and she always runs into someone from Whyalla ... The town doesn't make the people, it's the people that make the town.

Omg Allison, reading your post is like reading verbatim my childhood and teenage years!!!
Jeez, weren't we so carefree, safe and happy in them days, as poor as we were.

I have had the best time reading all these memories.

Click 'Comments' above to post links to any Facebook groups or page that have made you feel warm inside. If you’re a Facebook fan, join the Fightback!

0 comments

Post a Comment