This is a blog about South Australia’s new internet commentary laws. For background, you might want to read this article on AdelaideNow .

Myth 1:If you’ve got something to say, you should be brave enough to put your name to it

Guess what. We’re not all brave, chest-beating types prepared for the wrath of family, friends and colleagues based on what we’re written.

There are legitimate reasons for people to want to blog anonymously. Take these scenarios:

· Government is proposing new laws on child abuse. A woman has been abused as a child; she wants to take part in the debate but doesn’t want to let her partner know of her past just yet. She writes an anonymous blog. Outlawed under SA censorship law.

· Government proposes new immigration laws. Man wants to support them, but is afraid to share his name and address because of the ethnicity of the community he lives in, where there is high sensitivity to the issue. He outlines his well-thought out comments in a blog without using his real address. Outlawed under SA censorship law.

· Married couple decides to write a story (let’s face it, that’s what forms many blogs) about their experience living in the same street as a bikie gang, also debating anti-bikie laws. They decide not to publish their name and address because they don’t want a Molotov cocktail thrown onto their front lawn or Harley Davison’s riding past at all hours. Outlawed.

· A man’s employer has made it clear where he stands on the subject of a new local development. The employer is overbearing and petty. The man feels differently – he wants to protect his local park. He writes a blog to share with other community members, but doesn’t sign his name in case his employer can identify him ... outlawed.

It’s okay for journalists to use confidential sources. And anonymous columns (particularly political) have been a media stalwart for centuries. How so? We need to recall the reasons for this, to understand what is so wrong with the new SA censorship laws.

Journalists use confidential sources so that source can speak without fear. Anonymous columns are published for great debate to be shared rather than hidden. Which brings me to my next myth ...

Myth 2:Bloggers only want to share outrageous, defamatory comments

Mr Atkinson has said he wants people to stop calling him outrageous names. In an email to me, he said it’d be nice if people refrained from calling him a ‘kiddy-fiddler, paedophile, douche bag ..’
I can’t begin to outline how paranoid and self centred the laws are.

I’m a blogger. I’m not interested in calling Mr Atkinson any names. And yet the new laws would have affected me.

Many bloggers are eloquent, cautious people who take time to think through debate. They may or may not like to use curious pseudonyms. They have their own readers and followers. They usually allow comment on their blogs, and are ready to debate on their blogs. They are also governed by the same defamation laws as the rest of the public.

Believe it or not, there are bloggers who like to write about issues; their world doesn’t revolve around anonymously defaming politicians.

Myth 3: “I’m not interested in what you have to say unless you put your name to it"

Really? Content is king – and for my money, I reckon you’ll read great content whether it’s signed or not. It’s human nature.

‘Anonymous’ is one of the most prolific, funny, sarcastic, witty and pertinent writers of our time.
If we didn’t like to read comments unless they had the name and address of the author, the many ‘Diary of a ...’ publications would never be read.

In election periods, I would have thought the veracity of the debate, the genius behind the ideas, were always more compelling than whether or not it’s signed.

The most boring pieces you’ll ever read? Those signed by a politician, with their profile picture published alongside. And why is that? They’ve got their name attached, so they’re scared to say anything of substance ...

Myth 4: Bloggers are the 17-year-old ‘net generation’

Attorney General Michael Atkinson – and some mainstream media commentators – has contributed to the myth that the censorship laws were overturned to meet the needs of the ‘blogger generation’. Mr Atkinson even went so far as to say he consulted his own children, who helped attune him to the expectations of ‘young bloggers’.

Young people aren’t bloggers. They aren’t even microbloggers (that is Twitter by the way).
By and large, they focus on Facebook, SMS and email. They want to talk to their friends, not debate policy with strangers. This has been backed up by published research this week.

The people up in arms about the censorship laws and most active are 30+ and, dare I say 40+.
Anyone with a real interest in public debate should hook into Twitter, the ultimate debating forum. In my Twitter stream over the past week, it’s been people in the 30+ age bracket who have been up in arms over Michael Atkinson’s actions.

I’m 39. I have ethical standards. I am sensitive to others. People opposing the censorship laws were most decidedly not young ‘net gens who imagine they can get away with anything online, in some abstract new brutal netiquette age.

Myth 5: The new laws are all about honesty

The new laws are all about protecting politicians.

If they were about honesty, they’d exist outside the election period.

The laws are completely politician-centric. Mr Atkinson’s comments about the names he’s been called confirm this. Some people want to debate policy and social change and guess what –sometimes this can be achieved without mentioning a single politician’s name!

The new laws are about making it more difficult for party stooges to enter debate anonymously. But in trying to protect pollies and make political hacks more accountable, they’re reducing safety for the general public. We need to err on the side of safety for the rest of us; politicians have entered the political fray, they’re protected by defamation laws, and need to ‘take their lumps’ as Mr Atkinson would say.

Why do I blog?
Please don't debate about blogs or social media if you don’t understand them.

Why did I choose to write this as a blog?
· This text wouldn’t fit in a Letter to the Editor
· I can publish my own blog – maybe other publishers wouldn’t consider it fit to print
· I can share my views with my connections
· It helps me think through my views – and indeed, debate myself

As always, I’d be glad to read your comments.

14 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 6, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

    Well I enjoyed the read, however I have to say one thing the line about young people not blogging or microblogging is odd. I'm an 18 year old blogger (rednotded.tumblr.com) and twitter user (@thekingofswing)and I know plenty other people around my age that blog and tweet also.

  2. Prakky ... // February 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

    Thanks for the comment - I think overall you're part of a (dedicated) minority. Research reports over past fortnight, including yesterday in the Tiser, says most young people have shunned Twitter and blogging. Glad you're here though.

  3. Kate Burns // February 6, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

    Great post, and I'm very impressed you actually got a response from Atkinson. I also think that this whole thing shows two things, one, how scared the current government is about the coming election and two, how powerful the 'bloggers' have become in the eyes of ALL politicians, we mustn't forget how silent the opposition has been in all this.

    My only point about the 'generation' of bloggers is, it isn't a generational thing and remember bloggers are nothing without an audience, and you can't say there are only one generation of people reading the blogs. There may be a somewhat larger group in the mid 30's age range, but to say there is a generation of bloggers is like saying there is a generation of bike riders. It's across the board, some do it more than others, but I don't think there is a generation that is left out.

    I don't want my name and address known because I want to, as a business owner, to be involved in my community and politics, but without people labeling me and my business. There are times that I'm happy to have people associate certain things to me and my business, like this issue, but other times not. I don't want to make a public statement that could effect my ability to feed my kids just because I wanted to go online and make a comment.

    What a baby Atkinson is at being upset about name calling. You're a public person, GET OVER IT.

    GREAT WORK PRAKKY!!

  4. Prakky ... // February 6, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

    Thanks so much Kate.

    You're spot on with your comments about being a business owner and the dangers of public debate and impact on your biz.

  5. Anonymous // February 6, 2010 at 6:40 PM  

    Great information here. Your scenarios are legitimate reasons why our Govt seriously needs to rethink its policy.

  6. Unknown // February 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

    An absolutely superb piece of writing Prakky!

    When I was a child, my mother taught me a little rhyme that went:

    "Sticks and Stones may break my bones,
    But names will never hurt me!"

    She also taught me to try and think about why the children were taunting. Obviously Mr Atkinson never learnt this.

    People are not all wordsmiths, but in this country where we are fortunate enough to have freedom of speech, we are all entitled to feel passionate about our rights.

    If those in power, and also those aspiring to it (our elected representatives) listened a little more to what the people wanted - there just might be a little less criticism of their ivory tower, Parliamentary privilege generated out of touch laws.

  7. Eccles9 // February 6, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

    Bravo Prakky, well written, well argued.

  8. Chris Foster // February 6, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

    You've certainly put some thinking into this post and expressed your views eloquently.

    Myth 1 lays out just how much there is to lose by speaking out in society, despite the myriad of legislation that purports to protect us. We tend to surround ourselves with like minded people in real and online lives in order to be affirmed by friends and peers...it feels like a primordial survival instinct to be locked into the staus quo.

    But when we look back in history and see the people that changed the world forever, by risking it all and speaking out..we truly still need folk that are brave enough, to risk ridicule and pursue the unpopular side of an agument.

    In my mind it's a two or more pronged argument. I feel comfortable, that a debate can have greater participation, by allowing anonymous to have their say. Where I feel uncomfortable, is where anonymous can engage the dark tools of debate to rip into a public figure or someone that uses their true identity. There is a line between having your say anonymously and that of being a coward by attacking public figures or true identities under cover.

    Anonymous should understand that a trail of digital breadcrumbs can come back to bite them down the track. Despite using fictitious names, be aware that the trail goes right back to the device anonymous is using to post...every piece of hardware has an unique identity. Who knows what world we'll live in tomorrow, make your point pubicly or anonymously, but cross the acceptable boundaries at your own risk.

    Kudos to Prakky for stating her position on this matter.

  9. Travis Gottschutzke // February 7, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

    this is beautiful work, prakky...

  10. Charlie // February 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM  

    agree with all of this. well said bella xc

  11. Rubina // February 7, 2010 at 2:28 AM  

    cheers prakky for the fantastic read, certainly will be reposting this one! :)

  12. Phillip Adams // February 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM  

    Michael Atkinson has been nothing but trouble recently employing dirty tactics to stir up not only the state, but the nation specifically with his complete immunity to reason and childish actions in office relating to R18+ classification for games. He is not mentally fit enough to use a coffee machine; let alone be the Attorney-General of SA.

    @Chris Foster

    The point here is that nobody should have to martyr themselves in order to have their say – and in a democratic system such as ours, where we vote and act as a whole, it would be unnecessary to martyr someone.

    Myth 1 affirms that by employing such as ludicrous law we allow persons in our country and state to be martyr’s for their ideas; which in all cases of martyrdom are shared by others and make a whole and the act is only done out of sheer desperation. Is that what we’ve come too?

    The anonymous persons in this case aren’t scared that the feds can track them down either; they just want to be able to engage in discussions that effect their world, by questioning a politician we can discover why they believe they must enforce certain laws that will govern us. What you are implying is that by even having a point we should be afraid - that is not democracy at work – it is a damn disgrace on everything we have built and come to accept as a working political system.

    Imagine if I left my name and postcode here, you could go and look up information about me and if you strongly disagreed with me you’d be able to quietly visit my home and slash my car tires, vandalise my property, and maybe even burn my house down, or rob me, whatever tickled your fancy. Now, I’m not personally saying you would but in the hands of the immature or extremist this private, now public, information could spell disaster for me, and yet the actions made to destroy my life will be anonymous and my debatable thoughts titled.

    Do you think that is fair? If democracy really works we don't need martyrs - we need politicians who can do their job. I'm afraid that the Cowardly Attorney-General Michael Atkinson has lost the Labor party a devoted vote. I will not be voting Labor come election time because by voting Liberal I am getting this out-of-touch relic out of office and away from my civil liberties.

    ps. Unrelated but related; recently Michael Atkinson is quoted to have said that the poster on AdelaideNOW named Aaron Fornarino is a fake name made by the Liberals to provide social commentary on his actions. Aaron Fornarino is in fact a real living, breathing person and lives in Atkinson's electorate. Surely there are political repercussions for belittling a member of the general public like this?

    Source: http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/business/soa/Sack-the-attorney-general-SA-opposition/0,139023166,339300850,00.htm?omnRef=http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=iJk&q=Aaron%20Fornarino&start=10&sa=N

  13. Chris Foster // February 7, 2010 at 7:41 AM  

    @Phillip Adams

    I totally disagree with what Atkinson was trying to implement, it's a persons right to make the choice on how they voice their opinion and in some societys anonymous is the only real choice.

    Social Media may well be fully integrated into everyday life within 5 years, politicians will need to get used to the idea of free speech being pervasive.

    My main points were merely one of caution in assuming you are truly anonymous on the interwebs and one of keeping it civil no matter what your guise.

    It would be sad to see the acts of uncivility you describe, I'm not sure what type of opinion would incite such acts...hopefully not politics (maybe football)

    Keeping it legit from Adelaide, 5000 :)

  14. Anonymous // February 7, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

    Well said!

Post a Comment